Saturday, January 30, 2010

I Wanna be a Producer

The past week has been full of rehearsals.  Both Annie and Cemetery Club are going strong.  I was able to get all of Cemetery blocked last week and we finally did a first read of Annie.  I am not only directing Cemetery Club but also producing it.  With imaginarium, of course.  Part of my job as producer is to set up all of our theater policies.  How seating is going to work, menus for dinner, drink orders, staffing, call times for actors and crew, and billing.  We are a young company and our last production, while a success, was not the most organized.  It is now my job to come in and learn from their past "mistakes".

Second Act Trouble: Behind the Scenes at Broadway's Big Musical Bombs (Applause Books)My new role as producer aside, I enjoy learning.  I love Broadway.  And Broadway Shows.  I have, again, recently fallen in love with the public library (read, payed my outstanding fines) and requested the book, Second Act Trouble: Behind the Scenes at Broadway's Big Musical Bombs.  It is such a great book.  Basically a collection of newspaper articles and essays about Broadway flops.  With inside stories from the creative teams, stars, producers, and other critics.  With included footnotes.  I just read the most amazing story about Hellzapoppin starring Jerry Lewis and the reasons it failed.  I couldn't help but wonder if part of the reason wasn't the star.  Considering the interview with him included in that chapter's essay.  He wasn't a nice man during that interview.  Very rude, and crude.  The first two chapters included shows that ran for over 230 performances but were considered bombs because they never made back the money they spent!!!  Some of these shows have huge names attached to them and yet they still fail.  For all the would be producers or directors out there.  I suggest you read the book.  As a cautionary tale.

This coming week includes plans to go see Producers and Dearly Beloved presented by GCP in Fresno; attend Annie rehearsals and continue with Cemetery rehearsals.  Just found out that my "leading" man for Cemetery is still doing the production, after not hearing from him for a week and a half.  Saw Thoroughly Modern Millie  last night in Clovis.  I will write my review tomorrow.  But for now I must return to my book, Second Act Trouble: Behind the Scenes at Broadway's Big Musical Bombs (Applause Books)

No comments:

Post a Comment