Thursday, January 21, 2010

How to Succeed in Business...

NETWORK!  That's right readers; get off your fanny and get out and meet people.  I have been accussed of too much networking...really?!?!?!  Cliche moment: It isn't what you know, but who you know. Seriously.  But to succeed you also need to have the skills to continue.  No matter who you know, if you can't do your job...you're going to get fired.  Unless you are related to the boss, or sleeping with them... my point is that it isn't enough to just be good at your job.  You have to be good at your job and meeting people and figuring out how to make them work for you.  Without blackmail.

I know people that say only make contact with relevant people.  So stick within your bubble.  WRONG.  Maybe because I work in the arts, primarily theater, but I use every asset that I can find.  You never know when that person who happens to be friends with a bagpipe player, or the young woman who has a cockerspaniel that can piddle on command, or the aspiring actor that can drive an 18 wheeler will come in handy.  Not that I can come up with an exact instant that you need those people except maybe shooting a movie about a young man who plays bagpipes makes a trip cross country to save his dog that has been dognapped by truck driver.(Don't steal my idea)  But every contact is an important one.

In my Studies in Music Education course in college we are taught to make friends with everyone that comes into our classroom.  Janitors, administrators, students, parents, aunts and uncles.  Because you never know.  You may need a door unlocked and your good friend the janitor is there to help you.  Or help on a fundraiser.  So don't go looking for only those contacts that can immediately help you.  Whenever I am networking I try to find people that I can help.  These are the most important people in the room...not because of anything the did but because of what they can do.  Say I provide music for an event at the local coffee shop for an event they are doing.  Sure, I am helping them entertain their guests. But aren't I really getting free advertisement for myself and for my talents; which will lead to another, which leads to the next and so on and so forth.  And don't write of those that "don't have anything to offer" because they can lead you to others that can help.

I was networking this morning...okay so I was having coffee.  My friend is the Executive Director of the Chamber of Commerce and she is now hosting coffee hour once a week.  This is the only time that I get to see her since her new job has her pretty tied up.  This is only her third coffee hour and it hasn't picked up yet so it was just me, my boss, my friend Jack, and Ms. Darbus.  After a while the General Manager from the Parks and Rec center came through I had mentioned that I was going to be applying for the position of Camp Director this year and left it at that.  We talked theater, small town activities...later when I took my application in she remembered who I was...and it didn't hurt having the current director and assistant director for camp standing in the office singing my praises.  So...I may be spending three weeks this summer in beautiful Cambria.  So nice to get away from the 100+ degree weather in the valley!

No comments:

Post a Comment