Saturday, September 4, 2010

One Enchanted Evening

Tonight's posting is not about theater...unless you count the humming.

So tonight, one of the roomies and I headed out of the house and down to the Tower District to have some fun.  We had a quick bite at Million Elephant and then headed over to Veni Vedi Vici.  It was packed.  It got me thinking whether or not relationships still begin at bars...in today's age of twitter, facebook, and the plethora of dating sites out there do first connections still take place at a bar?  We basically just stood in the crowded patio area with our drinks, he had a beer while I drank water (someone has to be the DD) making very small talk, just chilling.  And I couldn't stop humming "One Enchanted Evening".

Perhaps because I just watched South Pacific, well the first part of it, or because we had been discussing dating and relationships earlier but I couldn't help but think that at this moment someone could be meeting their soul mate, or conversely not meeting them because we no longer meet people in organic methods.  We hide behind our friend lists and followers and whatever online identities we have created for ourselves and allow our social interactions to be dictated and directed by technology.  Not that I ever did, but what happened to starting a conversation at a bar that could lead to friendship and then eventually something more?  Who's to say that by only speaking to our predetermined friends we aren't neglecting a new relationship?  I am not trying to be deep...just thoughts that occurred while watching a friend drink a beer.

To the surprised faces out there, yes, I was at a bar.  In fact, we were at two bars today.  And last week we were at three.  I am moving out of my comfort zone, trying new things, heading forward.  Does that mean we met anyone at the bar?  No.  Did we go with the intention of meeting someone?  The roomie did, me not so much.  Did I have fun?  While not as fun as last weeks excursion, this week was interesting...I love hearing what people talk about at bars.  The woman next to me was adamantly informing her date that while robbing a bank sounds like a good idea, it isn't as lucrative as one might think.  The gentleman to my left was telling his friends he was James Dean reincarnate.  Interesting stuff.

Every time I start to write what I think will be an awesome blog it starts to go "blah" on me...I need to find some good things to write about.  My life, at the moment, isn't very eventful so it takes a while to get a good blog post.

1 comment:

  1. This was in no way blah...so interesting and thoughtful...I often have similar questions in my head. You are lovely :)

    ReplyDelete